Wednesday, January 29, 2014

The Wisdom of Making Ice


The Wisdom of Making Ice

Riverside.
The floods of other years
Have created a scour-shelf for me
To sit on and ponder the cobble
Deposited since God knows when.
I’m here on a colder day then usual.
I want to listen to the river
As it forms ice floe
And floats them like saucers down a whispering glide.
A distance above and below I see riffles.
They are chattering away I know.
Probably talking to Norman Maclean
About the foundation of time
As the riffle-words crawl out
From under the rocks
Like the stoneflies will
In another week or two.
Here though, heat is a ghost rising
As the ice forms.  I know the formula.
I’m a scientist and measure such things
As how much heat is given off
When water changes to ice.
I’ll say 144 BTUs per pound of ice.
That is probably a sacred number in mythology.
No one else in Hamilton, Montana cares about that.
They should be here now though
To hear the ice maker speak
During this 20-degree day and night water parade.
Unlike the riffles, the glide speaks gently and is reassuring.
Now and then a platter of ice runs against another.
“Clink” such a collision said.  I wonder what that means in River-Talk.
Its simple words are not literature.
The riffles speak in parables.
Glides speak in romantic subtleties.
“Hush” is the main suggestion
And I heed it as I watch from my perch.
A bald eagle flies upstream not 50 feet from me,
Perfectly intent on the business of looking for anomaly.
“Hush!” The ice slides by again and commands.
I reply, “I was only watching the eagle, but you heard me”.
“Hush!
And I obey.  Here alone, the workings of the aged connections
Of this place are not altered. 
Should you and I, my love, take watch here
The river might glide by and hold its tongue.
In that case, I would lean over to you
Place my chin on your shoulder and whisper,
“Hush”.

1 comment:

  1. As the pack-mate again, I feel your "Hush". Spring comes and I hear silt scraping the boat as it glides through the water and wonder: is it reminding me to be watchful, asking me to get out before I hit a snag that wasn't there last time I floated, warning of a current reversal just around the corner?
    But talk it will and I will savor ever word it speaks.

    ReplyDelete