Wednesday, March 19, 2014

Tote That Pack, Run That Dog

Spring is sneaking up on us this year.  Cagy critter not taking any chances that we will get all carried away and try to turn dirt in the flower beds or the garden.  Tess and I have been walking all winter along the Bitterroot River in Hamilton.  Yesterday felt like spring might be hatching.  I stuffed a little weight in my backpack, grabbed a water bottle (Tess can drink out of the river), found a little bag of jerky and we were off for our first five-miler of the year.

I drove the SUE BLUE RUE to a game and fish fishing access, parked and Tess and I piled out as if we were heading into the Bob Marshall for a week.  Bridge to bridge I estimate a five mile hike for me and twice that for Tess of course.  All went well, some aches at sundown and a pill each and we slept like babies.  I'm going to try to do every-other-day like this for a week to give Tess a chance and, well, me too ya know, to get the hang of it.  I'll keep increasing my pack loads and soon get her a pack to carry her food for those two or three day hikes I'm planning now and then this summer. 

So, the real work begins for a summer of Travels with Tess. 

1 comment:

  1. This feels like spring!
    Happy spring to you. Even up in AK there's spring in the air, although it's a snowy spring. I take the ferry this afternoon!
    cheers,
    Ela

    ReplyDelete