Monday, December 9, 2013

Another Grey Day in Hamilton with New Discoveries

Tess here and what a day.  December 9th already and Ol' Wannabe Hemingway snoozes away in his chair.  Still cold here for humans, but Wannabe is growing some facial hair after I suggested dogs have hair on their faces for a wintery reason.  He follows orders pretty well, bless his heart; stingy as it may be.

Great walk along the river today.  I met some new dogs and Wannabe was yack-yack-yackin' like a maniac with new folks.  First, though some new winter birds for us new guys here in Hamilton.  Remember, we're pretty much froze up here now, the river is I mean.  As I ran along it Wannabe was yelling something about a "killdeer" flying along with us.  Do I know what a "killdeer" is?  I thought I wasn't supposed to do that after that mishap in Wisconsin back in 2006 where I met my first fawn and had a time with it.  So, Wannabe says, killdeers are not supposed to be here this time of year.  OK, fine.  Then, off we, I mean I, ran to the Doggie Park about a mile downriver.  Yup, new guys there too, Don and his dog.  Weirdest dog, looked like me, but had long hair like one of those English "bench" mutts, Mike Alwin likes.  "Hey, Wannabe! What kind of dog did Alwin's have again?"  Hell with him he's out.  Anyway this new guy, yup a male, is somekind of German thing like me with long soft hair.  Pet-able kind of hair, but oooweee, I'll be the burrs get locked into that stuff pretty good.  Owners name was Don I heard him say to Wannabe.  Don and Ron, yup, what a combo at the Doggy Park today.  Me and "what's his face?" the other dog romped around and played grab ass for a while and then me and Wannabe headed back up river.  Sure enough along the way another winter first for Hamilton.  A snipe.  I ain't kidding either.  I tried to tell Wannabe I had something real pinned down along the drainage ditch that still has running water in it, but NOooo, he does believe me.  Then all of a sudden, like lightning slapped him around he was pointing and hollering at me about the snipe HE just saw.  Good grief.

Back at the car we encountered three other new pals for me and their owners, Amy and Steve.  Nice dogs 'cept that one brown one who thought it's teeth were longer and whiter than mine or something since she kept showing them to me like a brat.  Wannabe got talking as usual and got himself invited to another meeting this coming week.  The Ravalli County Backcountry Horsemen I think I heard.  What do I care about horses? and Old Wannabe don't give dogshit about them, so what's up with that?  Turns out he does care about horses as long as it's related to this story depiction he's doing using Norman Maclean's "1919 USFW:The Ranger, the Cook and A Hole in the Sky.  Something about meeting some of the old time horse packers in this area like Bill Bell was in Norman Maclean's story has Wannabe all fired up.  I guess they have the best "potluck" dinner in the county though, and that might make it worth the trip to Corvallis and my cold sleep in the kennel in the car during the ordeal.  Can't wait to see what Wannabe scrounges for my "treat".

What do you suppose these birds are doing here this time of year anyway?  I suspect they thought it was going to be a 'nice' winter again this year.  So far, though, it's been prett-ttt darn cold if you ask me.  And there in the river today goofing off like we were those two firsts; the killdeer and the snipe.  Thing is the killdeer was ranging above the now snow covered rocky shoreline of the river and the snipe was probing around in the edge sludge of the side channel-irrigation ditch that leads past the Hamilton Sewage Treatment plant we have to smell each time we walk the riverbank going to the Doggy Park.  So, maybe they figured they were in the right place at the wrong time and were dealing with it.  Great attitude if you ask me.  I wish some people would deal with such happenstances in such a manner.  Not likely given all the need for instant gratification and selfishness the humans are showing off these days. 

Let's see if I have a new picture for you.  Turn up the volume on your computer, OK?






Oh, yeah, this is a good one.  Wannabe suggested we listen to the sound the river speaks as it's starting to freeze.  He said the river doesn't "babble and burbble' like in the summertime, but says, "Shhhshshshshshhhh".  OK, whatever, but it is pretty cool even if I'd prefer to smell it.  I'll listen just this once to appease Old Wannabe.

Off to get some supper.  Anybody want to go sit in a cold car tonight with me after while?  Wannabe is going to another lecture.  Something about why Federal lands being managed by the Feds is way better than having the county commissioners manage them.  Should be great fun.  Hope it warms up for the Thursday night lecture and dinner at the Cross-Country Ski Club meeting.  Wannabe is meeting folks hand over fist these evenings while I sleep in the car and freeze my petunia off.

Tess of the d'Urbervilles de Hamilton Montana

No comments:

Post a Comment