Sunday, December 29, 2013

Cimetiere du Mont Gargan, Rouen, France

Good Eve of the Eve to all:  I finished a second poem of my journey through France.  It warms me deeply to share this with any of you who take the time to read it a couple of times.  Slowing first, let it find it's way into you as it came from me; slowly over time.  Then, try it outloud slower yet.  See if you can feel my joy in it.  Good luck with the few French phrases I had come from that day in Rouen, France.  I'm better at them now than I was that day.  And yes, if it seems long at first, realize the time it took for this poem to come to life after leaving France in the belly of my ancestors.  They left in boats between 1630-1650 and if they hadn't I wonder where I'd be today.  I traveled to France in August 2013 and this poem was delivered on the date below after many attempts of course.  Cheers.
___________________________________


Cimetiere du Mont Gargan, Rouen, France

It is late afternoon in Rouen, France,
The day feels right draining toward darkness.
I am resting from a climb.
A rock bench holds me
Tired legs and lungs throb less and less.
This place is silent.
Beyond the mason’s crypt-work
Over the brick and mortared walls
The City of Rouen chugs and rattles and roars
 To end another day.
The cemetery is walled in on a Height of Land.
There is higher ground looking east.
The Valley of the Seine;
Deeply carved, sinuous and lethargic.
St. Paul’s Catholic Church
Waits outside the gate I entered below this rest.
Cimetiere du Mont Gargan.
The sun light lengthens across
The face of this time and war-torn river town.
City facades blush in the lengthening rays.
And the traffic below aims for home on  Rocade Nord-Est.

Roused from my water-color dusk-time day-dream
The slap, slap, slap of leather soles approaching
On the paved central lane
Connecting the iron gates and archways-
Those bookends to the stories buried in that tended ground.

The gatekeeper, I could tell
Her lithe hands carried wrought keys
Dangling on a solid metallic ring.
Stopping before me,
She asked a foreign question of a weary foreigner.
“Bonjour.  Comment ce va?”
So basic, I could reply.
“I’m fine.  How are you?, Oh, impropriety…
Pardon moi!.  Tres bien.  Et vous?”
“Parfait, merci.”

From the cold stone bench
Upon this somber high place
Where chiseled names seemed suddenly aware
We talked in bursts beyond the words
Our minds could barely decipher.
Smiling often and warmly
Knowing we would not fully understand
I sensed a curiosity in her smile.
It warmed me as a surprise, a gift
For our unlikely meeting there.

She sensed I had come from far away
That this burial place held
Some centuries of interest to me.
“Ancestors!” 
“Oui?”
Her face realizing we may have commonality.
Our eyes engaged in mystery.
Hers dark as the buried lives
Beneath our babbled conversation.
Mine holding the last blue of day.
Rouen and lips in rouge fitting my delight.
We were hostages of our words,
Hearts of offset rhythms.
Her soul deep eyes drained the light from mine
Until she smiled again and set me free.

Kindness reached out and touched me
I worried only desire waxing from my soul.
She did not retreat from our concord though.
We talked on beyond the labored words
Until she smiled, understanding.
I had come to thank my ancestors
Her smile was confirmation;
She knew my ‘raison d’etre la’
Why I had portaged "a travers la mer":
My “Merci boucoup”
To those who, left Rouen
To build a New France,
Who gave my life a chance.

We fell silent then,
To let the moment be.
My story a mystery no more.
Then coolness interrupted
The momentary din between
A gatekeeper and I,
Children of the 400 years.
One last smile and “Bon soir”,
Keys jangling again by her side
Those black leather shoes carrying her away
To tend a distant gate.
“Au revoir” my echo, as I turned the other way.

In dun light, sky a purple haze,
Downhill past the open weathered gate
I shuffled, no more a stranger here.
Behind me now, that sacred place
Harboring the darkened familiar names
Chiseled on silently settling stones.
My ancestors satisfied once more
Within the maiden’s tended gates.
Those honorably spoken stone held names
Familiar to the eyes of two lives today;
Our ancestors wait another forever
To touch the light again.
 ________________________________________________
Ron Crete
29 December 2013

5 comments:

  1. Tres bien! Merci Beaucoup for sharing.

    This line: Rouen and lips in rouge fitting my delight.
    I heard it in my mind just before I started reading it. It's that kind of poem.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And so it is with those sunsets against city walls and lips of gatekeepers. Nice of you to chime in, Diane. Happy New Year as the old one goes over the falls.

      Delete
  2. What a beautiful poem, Ron. In one of those rare moments, I arose before Gary to read...what a treat to find this lovely poem awaiting. You have the gift...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Marty. Happy New Year and thanks for reading this poem and what a pal just to have you out there. Yes, I felt I had this one come to me rather than me have to go find it. After many years of writing poems this felt like it had come from 400 years ago and I was so very glad to expose it. Hope you and Gary have a great day and a wonderful year. Looking forward to it too.

      Delete
  3. Ron thanks for sharing your moment as your memory allows me to feel a part of your quest to find our roots. Bro.

    ReplyDelete